Thomas W. Dietrich
Tom Dietrich is a tax attorney and focuses his practice on both corporate/transactional matters (M&A) and complex estate planning. He has over 30 years of experience working with successful businesses and their owners to accomplish their long range objectives. Areas of concentration include business structuring, succession and exit plans, as well as strategic tax planning.
Tom’s M&A work includes four years as general counsel to a Los Angeles based merchant bank that acquired, restructured and sold businesses. Tom’s estate planning work normally involves some combination of closely held business ownership, family dynamic challenges, and the need to avoid unnecessary taxes and litigation.
- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL; Master of Law in Taxation (LL.M)
- University of Texas, Austin, TX; Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- University of Texas, Arlington, TX; Bachelor of Arts (History)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Texas (1978)
- Arizona (1985)
Awards and Recognitions
- AV Preeminent™ 5 out of 5 for over 25 years. (AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with Martindale Hubbell Legal Directory certification policies.)
- President’s Award for Outstanding Service, Texas Young Lawyers Association.
- Probate and Trust Section, State Bar of Arizona
- Tax Section, State Bar of Arizona
Previous Memberships / Activities
- Member, Board of Directors, Phoenix Symphony
- Member, Men’s Art Council, Phoenix Art Museum
- Member, Board of Directors, Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Member, Family Firm Institute
- President, Valley Estate Planners (Phoenix, AZ)
- Member, Probate Code Revision Committee (Arizona)
- Member, ABA Subcommittee on Formation, Administration and Distribution of Trusts
- Member, ABA Subcommittee on Investments by Fiduciaries
- Board Member, Planned Giving Roundtable of Arizona
- “Estate Planning for the Non-Citizen Clients,” Arizona Attorney
- “Patchwork Policy, Not Yet a Quilt,” Arizona Republic
- “Baby Boomers Face Hard Financial Times,” Arizona Republic
- Tom has spoken on tax topics to many professional organizations including the Arizona Society of CPA’s, State Bar of Arizona, Maricopa County Bar Association, National Business Institute, Valley Estate Planners and at the Sixteenth Advanced Tax Seminar in Dallas, Texas.
When you enlist the services of May Potenza Baran & Gillespie, you get an experienced, diverse team of advocates in your corner who work collaboratively, move quickly, and think differently.