John works closely with our clients to provide legal solutions that align with their business goals. Often working with entrepreneurs and small businesses, John advises his clients on a broad range of transactions that include buying and selling businesses, private debt and equity financing, secured loans, corporate governance, and negotiating business contracts. John often serves as outside general counsel, advising companies on their key business issues and transactions.
John has worked on numerous merger and acquisition transactions and also represented borrowers and institutions in finance transactions, which have included over $350 million in secured loan financing and equipment leases. An active member of the Phoenix startup community, John also advises emerging growth companies on governance structure, intellectual property protection, and raising private capital.
- University of Arizona – James E. Rogers College of Law, JD, Moot Court Team, 2007
- University of Arizona – Eller College of Management, MBA, Finance, Dean’s Fellow, Graduate Teaching Assistant – Finance Department, 2007
- Duke University, BA, Public Policy Studies and Political Science
- Top 10 Legal Mistakes Startups Make, and How to Avoid Them, Startup Week 2016
- Common Legal Mistakes Companies Make When Raising Capital, Startup Week 2018
- Don’t Let Legal Issues Derail Your Startup, Startup Week 2019
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Arizona
- State of Arizona
- Childsplay, Inc. – Society for Imagination and Wonder
- Association for Corporate Growth (Arizona Chapter)
- Conscious Capitalism Arizona
- Volunteer Soccer Coach – St. Francis Xavier Athletic Association
- Startup Mentor – Galvanize (Phoenix location)
- Steering Committee Member – Invest Southwest Arizona – Venture Madness
- Panelist and Business Advisor – Arizona Commerce Authority Venture Ready Program
- Duke Alumni Association
- State Bar of Arizona – Business Section and Bankruptcy Section
- Desert View Learning Center – Secretary, Board of Directors
- Southwest Super Lawyer 2021, Business & Corporate
When you enlist the services of May Potenza Baran & Gillespie, you get an experienced, diverse team of advocates in your corner who work collaboratively, move quickly, and think differently.